Thursday, March 5, 2015

Winter has been odd this year. In Minnesota, known as the state that causes remarks: "How do you live in that kind of cold?", "Where do you put all that snow?", and "Only ONE person has ever walked on water!", has had little snow (that was busy falling all along the Eastern Seaboard), a lot of really cold and so many grey days in a row I even got tired of the low light of winter. Being a mole-person, my tastes for lighting runs to fall and winter. All spring and summer I hibernate in opposition to that bright stuff.

We have had bare grass patches all winter except for Thanksgiving which technically falls in the period known as "Autumn" winter not arriving until just before Christmas. The chirps of "The days are getting longer!" rival Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah etc. Ooops, I side track myself!

While snow fell at a good rate in November, we came close to having a brown Christmas. Then the first of the year brought little snow to us and much to everyone else including people who never see it, don't know what it is, and barely can operate a vehicle in it. We have had a miserably cold February and then the long awaited and promised snow that was supposed to come on Tuesday . . . well, it didn't! It went north of us. We had enough to whiten, brighten, and sparkle the lawns with prognostication of soon melting! What's up with that?

This morning, my chosen mate for life, looked at me and said, "I am looking forward to warmer temps and sunny warmth." I was surprised to find myself agreeing. More like shocked, run to the mirror and check to see if it is really me, amazed! I laughed and told him I have sometimes on the first 50 degree day, bundled up really warm, taken a lawn chair to our front deck, and sat in the sun to read even though there were piles of snow still on the ground. This year may be a repeat of that performance and if so should be recorded for posterity. It only happens about once every 20 years or so.

Sun is ok in it's proper place which is not in my eyes, beating down on my unprotected head, nor streaming in my bedroom window before 8:00 am! I know I will not welcome the sun and warmth for long. The first 70 degree day will see me wandering around mumbling. Dave will point to our bedroom where there is a corner nice and dim with a recliner, small table, books and an afghan. Like a scolded puppy I will retreat there until the nerves are less agitated and I have had a chance to calm down after realizing that 70 degree weather is soon followed by 80's and 90's and sometimes 100's. That first 80 degree day sends me to the tree looking for fall colors in the leaves. They won't be there but I'll keep whining about it until the first 50 degree day with rain and clouds. While others are scurrying for cover, I will once again be the one playing outside, relishing the colors, smells, and chills of fall. Then the dance of snow will begin (not a pretty sight) and that will be followed by grousing over the days getting shorter. There is a cycle here.

No comments:

Post a Comment