Friday, March 13, 2015

I'm Listening, Finally!

I'm in good company. Samuel heard his name and it took 3 times to say, "I'm listening, Lord". Baalam had to hear it from the donkey's mouth. Moses had to have a burning bush (no big deal it burned, but it was not consumed nor did the fire spread to other brush). Even then, Moses argued rather than obeyed.

Until a recent Bible study "Discerning the Voice of God" by Priscilla Shirer I would have said I had heard God directing me but rarely. Page after page of her book and her videos brought to mind how often God had spoken and . . . well, I mistook His Voice for my very good ideas. Yeah . . . like serving a wonderful turkey dinner and telling people I created the turkey that was killed, frozen, stuffed and roasted.

The fact that this study was timed precisely during this year's Community Bible Study (CBS) on Job was no coincidence. I am listening, Lord. During the last chapters when God lays out just Who He is and Job gets an idea of just who he is I also got a pretty clear picture of just who I am. This has been startling, it is exciting, and God is doing a new thing in me at the ripe old age of 72 and 5/6 years of age!

Well, why not? Moses was 80 before he took on Pharaoh, and then he lived beyond that to make it through all 40 years of desert circling. Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90 when they became parents for the very first time and lived to raise their son to adulthood (she laughed, don't know that I would). Jacob lived a long and tumultuous life, raised 12 strapping boys, and saw his 11th and favorite son restored to him and could bless his grandsons.

I'm hoping that obeying comes easier with clearer recognition of the Voice. I don't usually sign on for adventure. I am chicken through and through. I have to pluck tail feathers so I can get my jeans on in the mornings. While God is clearly saying this is a newer, closer relationship, there is peace in knowing new things will be pointed out, directions given, and obedience to be given. That is a new twist on reacting to what He is saying.

So I have to end this here because I have to go find all my Armor of God and get everything on and adjusted just right -- so I can step out when my marching orders come. I think . . . well some of it may be a little dusty or tarnished so I gotta polish it up a bit and then I'll be ready. What? OK. Quit writing and go find it NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment