Sunday, January 15, 2012

Clarification

Before I can write too much more on any given subject, I have to clear my son's (Marc) good name. He was teasing me about the length of my blogs so I decided to write one only he could appreciate. I did not expect people to rush to my defense. Our family has a way with words (for good or for evil) and we take each other on often. Marc is the same child who gave me a loving compliment only a son could deliver when he said, "Last night when you sang, Mom, I think you really surprised those people!" I smiled and said, "Really?" He nodded and hugged me. "No one would ever expect that high sweet voice out of a little fat lady like you!" Ah how God provides protection from conceit through the eyes and mouths of our children. Both Helen and Marc as little cherubs dear to my heart charged their friends quarters to see that I could indeed hold my teeth in my hand! One last thought on the time and effort we put into parenting only to have it misfire in our direction. Marc arrived at the door dirty, scuffed, and rumpled after clearly having been in a fight. I asked him if he was fighting. He affirmed that he had been and with Curt, his neighborhood nemesis. I asked if he would tell me what they were fighting about. With a tear threatening to drop, he said they had quarreled over who's mom was fattest. I said, "Oh, Marc, I don't mind what Curt thinks of me, you didn't have to fight over that. We've talked about leaving others' opinion of how I look as their opinion!" To my surprise he stated firmly and without hesitation, "I tried to tell him you were lots fatter!" To God be the glory! I was put in right perspective in an instant.

Marc was not hurting my feelings, he was jerking my chain or as Bett put it, "Stop yerkin' on me!" I jerked back, and accidentally set him up to be the villain. There will be much more about our family's banter and I will tell you it is just that and nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment